What Can I Feed My Sugar Glider Joey?

What Can I Feed My Sugar Glider Joey?

For first-time owners, “what can I feed my sugar glider joey?” is always a question. They are considered exotic animals compared to other household pets, meaning they have different eating patterns.

Originally from New Guinea and Australia, Sugar Gliders are nocturnal animals. Over the years, people have learned how to domesticate them, but that doesn’t change their diet. It usually consists of insects, sweets, and other small animals in the wild.

Some people may find their eating patterns in the wild challenging to mirror, the same with the nutrients they need and their feeding frequency. 

Ideal Diets For A Sugar Glider Joey

You don’t have to be one of those owners who stresses, “what can I feed my sugar glider joey.” If you know the right way to take care of them, feeding should not be much of a problem. Here are the ideal Sugar Glider diets:

Less than six weeks OOP 

Sugar gliders under six weeks OOP (out of pouch) must feed milk from their mothers or a milk replacer using a syringe. 

6 to 8 weeks OOP

6 to 8 weeks OOP sugar gliders can be gradually taken off milk and introduced to a more permanent diet that consists of fruits, vegetables, protein-based food, and pellets. 

More than eight weeks OOP

For those older than eight weeks OOP, owners should ensure that they can eat entirely on their own and stop feeding milk from their mother or any replacement.

Sugar glider joey owners should offer different types of foods to their pets that complete their nutritional needs. Getting them acquainted with various meals at an early age helps them become less likely to be picky about their foods when they are older.

Many experts recommend feeding them fruits and vegetables around 25% of their fresh or frozen meals. Sugar Gliders are fond of apples, and you can try offering them to them every once in a while to boost their appetite. On the other hand, the remaining 75% of their diet should consist of protein sources such as small animals and insects.

Foods To Avoid Feeding A Sugar Glider Joey

Like any other pet, there are certain kinds of foods that Sugar Gliders should avoid. You should be careful of incorporating foods high in oxalates, including kale, chard, spinach, and collard greens. They can lead to urinary stones and other immediate health problems for your pets, especially young ones. 

Aside from asking, “what can I feed my sugar glider joey,” you should also pay attention to the foods they need to avoid, such as:

  • Dairy
  • Chocolate
  • Certain types of fruits like figs and pears
  • Certain types of vegetables, like beets and carrots
  • Berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries)
  • Foods that are pesticides-treated

You should also avoid giving your Sugar Glider too many fruits, which will immediately fill them up. They need to keep up with a balanced diet. If you notice that they are reluctant to eat, you can try enticing them with honey on their fruits or changing their meal ingredients.

If they show a decrease in appetite, you should consult a veterinarian.


Fortunately, there’s always an answer to “what can I feed my sugar glider joey.” These animals are not that hard to take care of, and even first-time owners would enjoy having them as companions. 



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *